WordPress vs. Drupal: Clutch Interview with Garrett
Clutch interviewed our Managing Partner, Garrett Goldman, to learn how businesses should choose a content management system for their website. Find out how to chose WordPress vs. Drupal below.
Clutch is a research, ratings and reviews firm that helps businesses find website and marketing companies for their upcoming projects. Garrett’s interview was part of a series of resources dedicated to helping businesses learn more about web design, what their options are, and how to choose the best platform and project for them.
When to Chose WordPress vs. Drupal
WordPress and Drupal are some of the most popular content management system platforms, with WordPress powering over 25% of websites. A main difference between the two is how customizable the platforms are and how easy each is to maintain. Drupal is a very strong, secure system that is fantastic for folks that understand how to manage a robust cms and for those who are looking for complete flexibility with administrator customizations. WordPress however allows for more design flexibility. According to Garrett, “Drupal is a little harder for beginners to use. Most people have an easier time learning how to use WordPress. Drupal has a better core for customizing roles and permissions and WordPress has a plugin architecture that integrates with many third party systems. In our discovery process at State Creative, we learn who will using the CMS and what they’re doing with it to help determine the best fit.” A few things to consider before choosing between WordPress and Drupal:
- What is the purpose of the website? (ex. generate leads, sell products, tell a story)
- How many contributors/administrators will be using the system and what is their skill level?
- What 3rd party systems do you need to integrate (ie. Salesforce, Mailchimp or Stripe)
- How complicated is the architecture and taxonomy?
- Are there workflow and publishing requirements?
- How much custom design is required?
- How much traffic are you getting and where does it come from?
- What is your budget?
Want to see which system is right for you? Tell us about your project.
Full interview on Clutch.